Monday, June 4, 2012

Mens Pajama Pants

I made these pajama pants for my husband, Kevin, with some fabric he chose at the fabric store! I was shopping for something else and he had come along as company for me, when he spotted this fabric. We were looking for fabric for my grandsons...for some little soft blankets they can carry with them, not a large one for their beds. My husband really wanted me to get this particular one for them. He loved it because it was super soft and the pictures of the reindeers were cute. So I went ahead and bought it. Little did he know it was for him!



I layed a pair of his pajama pants flat & traced it onto brown craft paper.
STEP 1: I got out a pair of pajama pants that fit my husband well & traced the front panel, the back panel & the pocket onto brown craft paper. I traced about 1/2 an inch around each piece for a seam allowance. I traced about 3 inches higher at the waist so I would have enough for a hem & casing for a piece of elastic.

STEP 2: I cut 2 pieces of the front panel & 2 pieces of the back panel.

STEP 3: I placed the two front panels with right sides facing each other & sewed the short edge together. (This would run down from the waist area to the crotch.) Sew the same short seam on the two pieces for the back panel.

STEP 4: With right sides facing each other, sew the front piece to the back piece at the inside leg seam, starting at what would be the bottom of one pant leg, going up to the inside crotch and down the other pant leg. (Starting and ending on the inside leg seam.)  You will now have an inside-out pajama pant that is sewn in the middle, but the outer leg seams are un-sewn.

STEP 5: With right sides together, sew up the outside seams. Fold top waist area over & sew, leaving an un-sewn section (maybe 1-2 inches) to insert elastic. Hem each pant leg.


I also added pockets since my husband likes pockets.


No comments:

Post a Comment