Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cupcake Pincushions

 Just before Christmas I saw this idea on a website. It was titled "Dollar Store Crafts". (I was already drooling!) Now if you aren't fortunate enough to live in an area that has a Dollar Store in it, I'm very sorry for you. Honestly, I am! I find more items in that store than I care to elaborate on! It's awesome.
Anyway, I had just been there and seen these cute little plastic ramekins in red or white. Three in a package for $1! I didn't buy them considering we have many, many ramekins in our house. Little did I know I could turn them into such a fantastic and useable item for my home!
I have the website address listed at the bottom of this page to 'give credit where credit is due'. I followed most of the directions there, except for the variety of  'frosting' colors and 'topping' options, as seen in my photos.
STEP 1: Purchase: ~Ramekins from the Dollar Store
                               ~Fabric for 'cupcakes'. I used felt & fleece
                               ~Polyester fiber-fill
                               ~ Hot glue
                               ~'Sprinkles' and 'cherries' etc...

Have fun when adding 'sprinkles' and special 'frostings'!
STEP 2: Cut out an 8" circle from your fabric. Here is where you will add embellish- ments: Any beads should be sewn on. Adding rick-rack?.. it should be hot glued on at this time. Stick on or flat hot-glued items can be added during STEP 5. Using a needle and thread, do a running stitch around the diameter of the circle. Leave the thread long at one end and gently pull the thread, gathering the fabric together, leaving a 1 to 2 inch opening.
STEP 3: Using the fiberfill, stuff the cupcake top. Make sure it's quite firm, or you won't have a very pretty cupcake top! Draw thread tight and knot.
STEP 4: Run a line of hot glue around the inside of the ramekin, close to the rim. (Doesn't need to be precise) Quickly place bottom of cupcake top down into ramekin, holding it in place for a few seconds as it cools.
Fancy 'swirled' chocolate frosting!
STEP 5: Hot glue 'cherry' to the top of the cupcake. Add any stick on or hot-glued embellishments at this time.


Web address for original pattern: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2011/01/cupcake-pin-cushions/

No comments:

Post a Comment