Saturday, August 18, 2012

Guest Room Makeover


Green with Gray Stripes and Photos
White Room with Gray Stripes along with
Random Green Geometric Patterns and Photos. 

I recently re-painted our guest room. It had been painted the same for several years as a generic guest bedroom, in earth tones. My daughter, her husband & sons were going to move home to California and it was decided they would stay with us for a short time! (Yay!!) We had really missed them all & I got the idea to re-do the guest bedroom before they moved back, as a little surprise for them! But I took it a step farther and decided to 'personalize' the room especially for them! I had found out the colors she would be using for their bedroom (She had purchased new bedding to use when they arrived) so I used those colors and had some fun getting creative!




Chocolate and Caramel colored paint in room, before.
BEFORE: The colors are faded but this is a caramel color on top with
 a chocolate color on the bottom.

AFTER:  Left wall (Wall 1) is white with a gray paint sponged over it. Right wall (Wall 2) is a dark gray.




This is a view of the corner connecting wall 2 to wall 3. If you continued around the room to the right, the entire wall (wall 2) is gray. It's got a large window so I thought it would be ok if I just painted the entire wall dark gray. Then the next wall to the right (Wall 3) is the wall with the photos as seen in the first picture above. I started with the large gray stripe by first marking where I was going to paint by using a measuring tape. I measured from the floor up at 5' and marked it along the length of the wall. (L to R) Next I decided how wide I wanted the stripe (12"), and again measured from the floor up along the length of the wall, just 12" shorter. (L to R) At the corners I just used the roll that the blue painters tape comes on. I layed the roll of tape flat on the wall and traced the inside curve to make a rounded edge on my stripes. (Seen below) I decided to make another stripe coming up on the left side of the wall, from the floor. I just used the same technique and kept the width the same for this stripe, and marked again using my tape measure and pencil. Finally it was time to start painting!




Green with Gray Stripes and Photos
After I painted the gray into the two stripe areas and the paint had dried, I randomly measured off the lighter green squares and center rectangle using a pencil & ruler. Once those were painted and the paint had dried I drew the triangles. I redrew them a few times until they were what I was wanting. The paint I used for the triangles is a little darker than the green I used for the squares. Then I printed these pictures of my grandsons for the perfect 'personalized' touch for my daughter and her husband!

TIPS: *I used regular printer paper & ink.
**I cut the pictures down to the size I wanted, not trying to get the correct size from my printer.
***I decopauged them onto the wall using a sponge brush and regular varnish. (The varnish was in my garage. My husband had purchased it for furniture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment