Friday, February 3, 2012

Tile Coasters

These tile coasters make a great gift idea, too!
These are so easy, you could even do this as a children's craft! Yet, with a little finesse, they can look like very classy additions to the most sophisticated decor....and...you guessed it!...it's CHEAP!!!!!

STEP 1: Purchase 4 or more 4 inch ceramic tiles from your local hardware store. (Mine were purchased at Home Depot for .16 cents each!!!) I used plain white to start out, but use any color that catches your eye.

STEP 2: Choose your motif and purchase your item accordingly. For instance, I saw these cute beverage napkins with four cupcakes on each napkin. So I figured I could use these by cutting out the cupcake on each, and using the cupcake as my motif for this first set. I also figured this was a good investment because if it didn't work, I was only out a few bucks. But if it does work, these would be so cute!

TIP: You can use just about any paper item to make these...gift wrapping tissue, or regular gift wrap, cute napkins (which I did), gift bag design, any scrapbooking paper, etc.

STEP 3: Cut out your motif carefully. Just remember that any extra paper around the outside of the design will show up once the tile is dry. For mine, I chose to leave the motif along with its bottom pink border.
Here is shown a motif cut directly around its border.

Here is shown a motif cut with the entire panel along with it.

STEP 4: Make sure your tiles are free of dirt or any oils. Using Mod Podge, apply the cut-out motifs to the tiles, according to manufacturers instructions, being careful to center them on the tiles. Allow to dry overnight.

STEP 5: For my tiles, I went with the pink bottom border that was on the napkins and just carried that over by painting a matching pink line around the outside edges of each of the tiles. Once dry, I sprayed 2-3 coats of an acrylic sealer. Allow to dry between coats.

STEP 6: Hot glue a matching square of felt to the bottom of each tile to protect your furniture from any possible scratches the tile might make. I chose a soft pink that matched the pink bottom border.

No comments:

Post a Comment