Sunday, February 12, 2012

Apron for Valentines Day

I had so much fun making this for my daughter, Abby.
The pic on the left shows the bodice better while
the pic on the right shows off the waistband.
I bought each of my daughters an apron a few years ago and I still love the design. My daughter, Abby, has outgrown hers since it was a childs size. I saw these cute fabrics and decided to make her a new one for Valentines Day.

STEP 1: I cut the bodice as two triangle shaped pieces. The dark ruffle going across the front must be added first, then attach the ruffle to the small area on the top right. Then follow the stitching down the front to attach the two triangles to each other. Finish the edges of the two triangle pieces with a small turned hem on each side. Next I cut out the two neck ties. (2" wide x 20" wide. Cut 2) With right sides together sew one short end & down the long side. Turn right side out, iron, topstitch along edges. Sew one tie to each triangle top.

STEP 2: Next I worked on the waistband. First the left and right ties must be sewn, turned, pressed and top-stitched before the waistband is sewn. (2 1/2" wide x 25" long. Cut 4.) Then I cut the two pieces which make up the waistband, which are cut exactly the same and later will be sewn together as the front and back of the waist. (3" wide x 17" long. Cut 2.) I placed the waist pieces with right sides together and stitched only the left and right sides first, making sure the ties are sewn in at the left and right sides. Set aside.

STEP 3: Now I needed to cut out the top ruffle. (7 1/2" wide x 38" long. Cut 1 for top ruffle.) Then I sewed a small hem up the two sides and along the bottom. I ran a gathering stitch across the top, gathered the ruffle until it was the same width as the front of the waistband. With right sides together, I sewed this top ruffle to the front waistband piece. Now I cut out the 'under' layer. (12" wide x 20" long. Cut 1.) I sewed up the left & right sides with a small hem. Next I sewed the under layer to the front waistband, with the right side out, directly behind the top ruffle. (It will drape down behind the top ruffle, only stitched to the top ruffle at the waistband.)

STEP 4: Next, I cut out the second ruffle. (7 1/2" wide x 38" long. Cut 1 for second ruffle.) I sewed up all four sides with a small hem. I ran a gathering stitch about one inch from the top, pulling up the gathers to fit the width of the under layer. I then sewed it to the front of the 'under' layer, positioning it just where the top ruffle ends.

STEP 5: Now I cut out the bottom ruffle. (7 1/2" wide x 38" long. Cut 1 for bottom ruffle.) I sewed a small hem up the two sides and along the bottom. I ran a gathering stitch along the top raw edge, pulled up the gathers to fit the width of the under layer. Then I sewed the bottom layer to the very bottom of the 'under' layer, with right sides together.

STEP 6: Lastly, I went back to finish the waistband. If I typed the previous instructions correctly, the two waistband pieces haven't been sewn to each other at the bottom. Turn and press these bottom edges. Sew together by topstitching on the outside front of the waistband.

No comments:

Post a Comment