Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cake Stands: DIY

 
The cupcake motif was cut from a napkin & Mod Podged on.



Of all the great finds out there.... this has to be one of my favorites! The supplies are so inexpensive yet the end result is fabulous!! I found this idea on Pinterest and I'm sorry to say the link is no longer available! I had saved the original pic I viewed, so there's that, at least.


This is the original picture I saw on Pinterest.

STEP 1: Purchase clay pots and saucers.

STEP 2: Glue together. (I used Gorilla glue....but next time I will try out E-6000. I've seen it used on numerous other craft websites...and the Gorilla glue expands.)

STEP 3: Once dry, paint the whole thing. I used spray paint for some of mine and craft paint for others.

Just paper in the dish with a ribbon around the edge.

STEP 4: Embellish!!! I used scrapbooking paper on some of mine, ribbon on others,...then there were beads, lace, sequins, cut-outs and I even just did a little painting on some. Just do something fun! (I used Mod Podge to attach all of my embellishments.)

Paper in dish with some ric-rac on the edge.

Paper doilie attached with Mod Podge in the dish. The chocolate
cupcakes are pincushions and in the foreground
are tile coasters with a cupcake motif.















STEP 5: Once dry, spray with a finish to protect your paint and embellishments.


Paper in dish, then I painted some snowflakes on the rim.
The poinsetta paper makes a cute Christmas theme.


Painted red inside & up over the lip of the dish, then added  snowflakes.
Another cute dish for a Christmas party!
















STEP 6: Cut out a circle of felt and glue it to the bottom of the cake stand to protect any surface it may be set on.
Paper inside dish then with a ribbon and silk flowers
attached to the front with Mod Podge.
Fabric doilie glued into dish with Mod Podge.

Paper in dish with cut-out words from same scrapbook design.
Then I just painted on multi-colored dots.
Paper in dish with same circles cut out and added to base.

My daughter found this mug a few years ago (Target... I think)
I decided to try to paint the same design onto a large cake plate.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post a lot! I really love the idea and better, I could actually see myself making this. I wanted a cake stand for the holiday last week but wasn't interested in spending the store price for it. Now if only we can make a cake-cover on the cheap to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's a great project.....it's quick, easy, fun & CHEAP!! Yet it yields such awesome results. It really is endless... all the different ways you can decorate these cake stands. Now I'm going to put some thought into your fabulous idea of a cover to go with them! My mind is already working......

      Delete